Sunday, May 24, 2009

Trust in the Lord in all Your Doings



It hit me like a thunder bolt. My keys were still in the car ignition and Kathy was driving away. I turned quickly and raced back to the Detroit airport drop-off point in time to see the tail lights of our family van disappear in the distance around a corner. My heart was thumping fast and I was unsure what to do.

What would I do now? What could I do now?

I said a prayer in my heart asking for guidance and direction.

What was there to do except proceed to the airport check-in and board the plane that would take me back to the Dallas Forth Worth airport in Texas. I would need to get from there to Plano, Texas somehow for the next five weeks of training. My car was parked at the airport, but I would not be able to use it without my keys. I would also be missing my apartment keys.

How stupid, I thought, to forget and leave my set of keys in the car ignition when it would have been so easy to turn the car off and let Kathy use her keys in her return trip to Flint, Michigan.

I quickly turned my direction to the boarding gate and, as I waited to board the plane, continued to pray silently for guidance. Would the Lord help Kathy remember she still had my keys in the car? Would she turn around and come back? No that was impossible; she would not even be able to find me in time.

The only choice I had was to continue on the flight and trust that there would be a way when I arrived in Texas to get back to Plano and then to class over the next few days without transportation until I could get my keys back.

The training in Texas had not been easy. It started out pretty smooth, but as the weeks passed it became increasingly difficult and there were some technical areas that I struggled with. I had to pass the class or I would not be able to continue my employment with EDS. On this my family depended.

The move from Utah to Michigan just one year earlier to commence a new career in computer programming as a new employee of EDS had been filled with new experiences and hard work. I spent that year working at the Buick Administration building in downtown Flint, Michigan. I had learned a lot about the business and was excited about my career with EDS. I liked the people I worked with and was determined to do a good job.

The airplane flight back to Dallas seemed to last forever. I believe there was little time during the flight that I was not pleading with the Lord for direction and help. When the airplane touched down, I was still not sure what to do, but felt like there would be a way.

After getting off of the plane with my single bag, I proceeded to the airport loading area where I saw a taxi. I went to the taxi and asked if he could take me to Plano for $20, which was all I had on me. He indicated that he would, but I would have to share a ride with someone else into Dallas so that his costs would be covered. I waited patiently. What else could I do? After a few minutes another young man approached the taxi indicating he needed a ride into Dallas. It was settled, I had a ride to my apartment, but how was I get in.

Again, I prayed that my roommate would be there to let me in when we arrived. When we arrived, I handed over the $20 and thanked the driver for his assistance. I was deeply grateful and knew the Lord was helping me. As I walked up to the apartment door, I saw that my roommate was home and once again I thanked the Lord for his guidance and help. I had somehow made it safely to where I needed to be. I knew that I was being watched over.

After explaining to my roommate my predicament he assured me that he would give me a ride to class until I was able to retrieve my car from the airport. Then I called Kathy and asked her to send my keys priority mail the next day. Two days later I was on my way to airport with my roommate to pick up my car. I felt so relieved and sure that I was being helped along the way. The Lord had placed people in my path at the right moments to assist and to assure me that he was there for me.

Although the training was difficult, I was able to complete it and found that further blessings were in store for us.

“Trust in the Lord in all thy doings and lean not on your own understanding and he will direct thee for good.”

The Lord has been ever with me when I needed him and am worthy of his presence. He lives, as sure as there is a tomorrow. He loves us with an unconditional love and I love Him.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Thanks Dad! You're awesome!