All that was visible was two feet with boots sticking out of the snow bank. I struggled to breathe and found it difficult; but exerting every effort to slowly turn over and pushing the snow from around me I sat up and wiped the snow from my face.
“Wow! That was a cool ride. Did you see how far I went that time?”
I had plunged deep into the snow drift at the sudden end of an exhilarating sleigh ride down the snow packed and slippery main road.
I looked up and saw that I had better get out of the way; my brothers were headed straight for me. One barely missed me as he plunged headfirst deep into the snow followed by my older brother who was able to turn in time to avoid being buried in the snow.
We all got up laughing and pulling our sleds, headed up the street to do it again.
“I love it when it snows”, I said. They nodded in agreement and headed for the top of a big bank along the road made by the snow plow as it cleared the road that morning.
The snow was white, fluffy and deep. The bank of snow along the road was high and we were able to step along the top balancing ourselves, occasionally slipping off and landing on our back side on the road or the soft snow on the other side.
Once we arrived at our house. We noticed that the snow and wind had left us another surprise. There was a huge snow drift next to dad’s shop. The swirling snow had created a long steep slope that began from the top of the shop down to where the lawn was in the summer. We both looked at the drift and our smiles widened at the thought of going down that drift.
Finding another drift on the other side of the shop we careful climbed to the top and laying flat on our tummies we nudged ourselves head first over the precipice. Seconds later we were again buried in snow at the base of the drift. Our hearts thumped with excitement and wonder that nature had created such a wintery playground. Over and over again we sailed down the drift and the street until our fingers and toes were so wet and cold that we had to go inside to warm ourselves. The warm cup of hot chocolate Mom had waiting for us was the end of a perfect day.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment